Blackdog Masterplan Energy Strategy
Blackdog mixed use development masterplan lays out a plan for a new town centre for the four combined settlements of Blackdog, Balmedie, Potterton and Belhelvie. The site lies immediately north of Aberdeen within Aberdeenshire and forms part of the Energetica’ corridor which covers a 30-mile long development along the East Coast that extends from Bridge of Don in Aberdeen. north to Peterhead and west towards Aberdeen International Airport. The Energy Strategy is for a base case of:
- Around 600 residential units of mixed layout.
- 300, 000 sqft of industrial floorspace.
- 250, 000 sqft of retail and leisure space including a six-screen cinema.
- 100, 000 sqft of office space.
- 70, 000sqft/ 150 room 3 or 4-star hotel.
- Primary School and Filling Station.
Blackdog masterplan is at an early stage of development. Our scope for the masterplan strategy included:
- Examination of potential for a heat network at an early stage in order to inform the infrastructure development, to ensure that necessary allowances can be made for road crossings and network interconnectivity within the infra-structure masterplan.
- Development of an early stage site wide energy model of the development to derive indicative heat and power profiles to enable the masterplan energy and infrastructure strategy to be developed.
- Production of an energy use scenario using dynamic simulation of generic representative buildings to produce indicative hourly data illustrating the daily, weekly and annual site wide heat, power demand profiles.
- LZC options screening.
- Proposed Energy and infra-structure strategy.
- Reference energy solution with cost benefit analysis and lifecycle cost.
The first stage in developing the masterplan energy strategy was to derive indicative site wide energy demands for the masterplan, we then considered how the demand might evolve with the application of new technologies and new sources of demand. In particular, the effect of progressive roll-out of “Smart” grid technology and increased deployment of EV’s over the lifetime of the masterplan development.